Accidental landlord insurance you can trust

Give us a call
01206 655 899
Or, we can call you

A helping hand for accidental landlords

Covering the unexpected

Accidents happen – often in ways you can’t anticipate. And it’s actually surprisingly common to end up as a landlord accidentally. In fact, one in five landlords in the private sector are classed as ‘accidental landlords’. So how does it happen, and what do you need to know?

You can become an accidental landlord in a range of ways, such as:

  • A change in life circumstances, e.g. moving in with a new partner or divorcing
  • Coming into unexpected property, for example an inheritance
  • A change in financial circumstances making it necessary to let your property.

But for whatever reason you find yourself as a landlord, the most important thing to do is make sure you’ve got the right insurance. Because now your property has essentially become a business asset, you need to get specialist landlord cover that keeps you and your new let protected. And that’s where we can help.

Our team understands the letting sector inside out, so we know exactly what types of cover you’ll need for your new let. And if you’re feeling out of your depth, don’t worry – we have all the answers you’ll need, and we’ll talk you through your options personally (no chatbots here). So just give us a call.

Let’s Talk


My circumstances mean I have to let out my property. Do I need to change my insurance?

Yes, you will need to change your current home insurance to landlord insurance if you want to stay protected. This is because your property is now considered a business asset and will have different insurance needs. To make sure you’re covered, it’s best to talk to a landlord insurance expert who will be able to explain your different cover options and find the policy that will best suit your property.

I’m an accidental landlord. Do I need both buildings and content insurance?

Strictly speaking, landlord insurance isn’t a legal requirement but we recommend you get building insurance as an absolute minimum to protect yourself from risk. This will cover any major damage to the property itself, such as fire or a natural disaster. However, contents insurance is also important, especially if you rent out a fully-furnished living space and want to protect your belongings in case they’re damaged or stolen.

What are the different types of cover I should consider for accidental landlords?

There are several types of landlord insurance you should consider if you’re an accidental landlord. These include buildings and contents insurance, which protects the physical buildings and what’s inside, as well as loss of rent (to cover you if your property is damaged by an insured loss and your tenants have to move out for a while), and liability insurance (in case a tenant tries to sue you for an injury or accident that takes place in your property). Don’t worry, we can help you find the landlord insurance you need. It’s what we’re here for.