Landlord Insurance

Landlord Building InsuranceLandlord Contents InsuranceLandlords Portfolio Quotes

Whether you let out a single property or have a substantial portfolio, Landlord Insurance is essential.

Your financial investment needs to be protected as any unexpected damage could prove costly to repair and may affect any returns you make.

  • Specialists in landlord insurance
    • Up to £25,000 FREE contents cover
    • Loss of rent & the cost of alternative accommodation
    • Wide range of tenant types considered
    • Non-standard construction, listed property and more
  • Accidental damage by tenants 
    • If you’re worried about one-off unintentional problems such as tenants spilling red wine over the carpets or putting a foot through the ceiling.
  • Theft and malicious damage cover
    • Theft and malicious damage by the occupier are covered as standard
  • Obtain a portfolio quote if you have three or more properties
  • Protect your income with Rent Indemnity option 

Looking for a flexible landlord insurance quote?

Our extensive experience helps us to provide flexible landlord insurance quotes specially designed for property owners, at the best price possible.

If you would prefer not to request a quote online, we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. We can help with any product questions you have and provide an insurance quote over the phone.

Why do I need specialist landlord insurance?

When shopping for landlord insurance it’s important to find a policy that has been specifically designed for rental properties.

Standard home insurance won’t be sufficient if the property owner isn’t the primary resident.

Since the day-to-day care of the property is in the hands of the tenants you never know what unexpected problems you might come across, making landlord insurance a prudent purchase.

You should also make sure to choose a policy that will cover the type of tenants who will be living in the property. For example, some providers will not renew your policy if you are renting to students or those on a housing benefit.

The location of the property and the type of construction could have a bearing on the type of insurance you need and the amount you’ll have to pay. We can also offer landlord insurance quotes for some non-standard buildings.

For those who have a property portfolio requiring landlord buildings cover, further savings could be achieved by opting for a single policy that covers all the residences involved. This option may also simplify management, as you’ll only have one renewal date to worry about and any claims will go through the same insurer.

What’s Covered

Buildings insurance usually consists of the property, fixtures & fittings and outbuildings (plus much more).

Contents insurance is required for items that you own at the property, covered on a ‘new for old’ basis, such as carpets, curtains, sofas and tables.

Optional Extras

To purchase the right landlord insurance cover for your needs it can help to understand the various options that are available.

The right choice will depend on the type of properties you own and the tenants that you cater for – as well as your personal preference.

Rent Indemnity Policy

A Landlords Rent Indemnity Policy will help ensure you don’t suffer financially if a tenant fails to pay rent while still living in the premises.

A Rent Indemnity policy requires you to have performed a tenant reference on the tenant(s) via an approved agency before they took occupation of the property and before the agreement was signed but no more than 31 days before occupation. Other excesses, terms and conditions apply so please read the full wording.

Excess options

You can increase the standard excess in return for a discount, with options from £300 upwards. Separate higher excesses will apply for subsidence (£1,000) and escape of liquid (from £350).

Employer’s Liability cover

Employer’s liability insurance provides cover for any legal liability imposed on an employer to pay damages to an employee injured by the employer’s negligence.


Can be purchased by property owners to cover their potential losses and liabilities that might occur due to terrorist activities.

Landlord Building Insurance

Landlord building insurance quotes for property investors who require insurance for various occupancy types including professionals, DSS and students.

Protect My Let is a landlord building insurance specialist providing quotes for buildings of standard and non-standard construction such as cob, listed buildings, timber-framed, wattle and daub and many more.

  • Specific buildings insurance for property owners
    • £2 million property owner’s liability
    • Up to 25% loss of rent cover 
  • Online landlord building insurance quotes, including buildings of non-standard construction
  • Portfolio quotes available
  • Wide range of tenant types can be covered
  • It includes essential cover as standards, such as loss of rent and alternative accommodation for the tenant if the worst happens.
  • The insurers are fully authorised and regulated in the UK
  • Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and the Financial Ombudsman Service

If you are an experienced landlord who owns many buildings we also offer Landlords Portfolio Quotes.

What is covered with landlords building insurance?

Cover for landlords’ buildings (with the option to include Landlords Contents Insurance providing wide cover as standard). Add an optional cover to build the policy you need to meet your personal requirements making sure you get the best value for money.

Landlords buildings insurance covers, excluding applicable excesses, for:

What is covered? Buildings
Fire, Theft, Storm, Flood*, ExplosionCovered
Escape of Oil and WaterCovered
Subsidence, Landslip and Heave*Covered
Property Owners Liability£2,000,000
Accidental Damage to Fixed GlassCovered
Cost of Alternative Accommodation25% of Sum Insured
Loss of Rent25% of Sum Insured
Theft and malicious damage by tenantsOptional (Up to full sum insured)
Extended accidental damage coverOptional
Legal expenses, rent recovery, rent guaranteeOptional
Building sum insuredAs selected by you

*Flood and subsidence cover subject to postcode

If the building becomes untenanted for a period of 60 days or more restricted cover applies, with certain conditions applying after 14 days. See your individual quote for details. 

Landlords can add extra protection to their insurance cover. We offer accidental damage cover, increased excesses and increased liability cover. Our theft and malicious damage option covers you up to the full buildings sum insured.

You may also wish to read our handy Frequently Asked Questions page before purchasing.

Landlord Contents Insurance

Landlord contents insurance is for investors who require insurance for various occupancy types, including DSS and students. We cover properties nationally from blocks of flats to small houses in rural villages. 

We understand that not all landlords will need Landlord Buildings Insurance, so we offer landlord contents insurance cover as a separate policy. We include as standard accidental damage cover and theft/malicious damage. You may also increase the standard excess on the policy in return for a discount on the premium.

  • Underwritten by a leading UK insurer
    • £2 million contents liability cover
    • Up to 25% loss of rent cover
  • Full accidental damage and theft/malicious damage
  • Cover for working, retired, DSS & student tenants
  • The insurers are fully authorised and regulated in the UK
  • Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and the Financial Ombudsman service

What is covered with landlord contents insurance?

Landlords contents insurance can provide cover for:

What is covered?Contents
Fire, Theft, Storm, Flood*, ExplosionCovered
Escape of Oil and WaterCovered
Subsidence, Landslip and Heave*Covered
Contents Legal Liability Cover£2,000,000
Accidental Damage to Fixed GlassCovered
Loss of Rent and the Cost of Alternative Accommodation25% of Sum Insured
Loss of Keys & Emergency AccessCovered
Full Accidental DamageCovered
Theft & malicious damage by tenants (up to full sum insured)Covered

If covered, subsidence incurs a minimum excess of £1,000. The standard contents excess is £250 which increases to £350 for the escape of liquid claims.

If you own multiple properties and wish to receive a Landlords Portfolio Insurance quote please contact us and we will provide a bespoke quote for you.

Protect My Let offer only one policy for each type of property insurance sold, in this instance, landlords contents insurance.

Landlords Portfolio Quotes

Owning and managing a number of let properties can be time-consuming and making certain they are all properly insured can be a lengthy process.

Here at Protect My Let, we appreciate how drawn-out obtaining a landlord portfolio quotation can be.
So if you are looking to save time, then why not get your property insurance quotation using our easy and straightforward portfolio request form?

  • We can cover multiple property types under one policy including residential let, commercial let, unoccupied and properties undergoing renovation.
  • We can cover multiple tenant types under one policy

Obtaining a quote is simple

If you have more than one property, download our Portfolio Quote Request form.
Once completed, email it to us at and we will contact you to discuss your quotation.

Alternatively if you have full details of your properties already documented (i.e. on a spreadsheet or a pdf) then simply email this to us at and we will contact you to discuss your quotation.

Here To Help

Mon – Fri
9.00am – 5.00pm

01206 771 260

Request A Callback

Existing Customers

If an incident occurs please get in touch with
the Insurer immediately or as soon as possible.

How To Make A Claim


Common insurance questions from landlords.

Visit Our FAQ page