Landlord insurance for DSS


Protecting your DSS let

*Please note this is available at no extra charge if you take out a policy with MS Amlin. We have a panel of thirteen insurers, most of which offer cover for Legal Expenses.

Give us a call
01206 655 899
Or, we can call you
DSS cover you can rely on

DSS stands for Department of Social Security. While the DSS closed in 2001 and was replaced by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), the term DSS still gets used today for private tenants who receive benefits from the government to pay their rent.

Rent from DSS tenants can be paid in different ways:

  • Directly from the tenant to you
  • Directly from the local authority to you.

Rightly or wrongly, DSS tenants don’t always enjoy the best reputation. This can lead to some landlords thinking twice about letting to them, but at Protect My Let our range of cover options means you don’t have to worry. We can still offer cover that’s comparable to insurance for professional lets.

Complete the form below and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your quote with you.


Some key features of our DSS cover
  • Buildings and/or contents cover, including fixtures and fittings in flats
  • Accidental damage caused by tenants
  • Property owner liability
  • Malicious damage and theft by tenants
  • Trace and access cover
  • Complete cover for buildings (fire, subsidence, storm, escape of water, flood, vandalism)
  • Cover for different construction types
  • Terrorism cover
  • Loss of rent / alternative accommodation cover
  • Portfolio cover (one renewal date for all your rentals)
  • Landlord legal expenses cover
  • Tenancy eviction cover i.e. serving eviction notices
  • Pursuit of rent arrears
Wooden gavel

Did you know?

We can provide legal expenses for up to £100,000 at no extra cost?*
  • Limit of Indemnity (per claim) £100,000
  • Legal defence
  • Recovery of rent arrears**
  • Repossession of residential property**
  • Property disputes
  • Property damage, nuisance and trespass

*Please note this is available at no extra charge if you take out a policy with MS Amlin. We have a panel of thirteen insurers, most of which offer cover for Legal Expenses.

**Please see our Covid-19 FAQs section to understand the current restrictions in place for using this cover.

Read our Policy Documents


My tenant is working and being topped up with benefits to pay rent, is this classed as a DSS tenant?

Not necessarily. If your tenant is working more than 16 hours per week they can often be classed as a working or professional tenant.

The tenancy agreement is between me, the landlord and the local council. Can you still cover me?

Yes, our policies can cover a range of different situations like this. Just give us a call to find out more.

My tenant was working but has now lost their job/can no longer pay rent and will be claiming Universal Credit/benefits. Do I need to change my policy?

In most cases you may need to change your policy at renewal. However, it’s best to let your insurer know when this change in circumstance happens so they have all the right risk information.

I have more than one property let to DSS tenants, can I put them all on one policy?

Yes, we can offer portfolio insurance as soon as you have more than one property. In fact, this saves you both time and money as you’ll only have one renewal date, you can enjoy a portfolio discount and we’ll do the hard work for you!