HMO insurance for landlords


Get the right cover for houses of multiple occupation

*Please note this is available at no extra charge if you take out a policy with MS Amlin. We have a panel of 8 insurers all of which include Legal Expenses.

Give us a call
01206 655 899
Or, we can call you
Multiple tenants, one insurance policy

HMO stands for House of Multiple Occupation. It’s often used in the rental sector to refer to a single property that’s let to multiple tenants or under multiple tenancy agreements.

If your property meets any of these criteria, then it can be classed as an HMO:

  • A flat or house let to three separate tenants on separate tenancy agreements (including students)
  • A house split into separate flats or bedsits where three or more separate tenants share facilities
  • A building containing flats that doesn’t meet the 1991 building regulations, where a third of the flats are let on short-term tenancy agreements.

If you’re unsure whether your property is an HMO, you can always check with your local council. However, it’s worth noting that not all properties with multiple occupants are classed as HMOs and not all have to be registered as HMOs with your local council – but when it comes to insurance, it’s still essential for you to have the right landlord insurance to cover not only your tenants, but yourself too.

Luckily, we understand that all HMO properties are different. That’s why we always offer complete cover to make sure your HMO let is protected.

Complete the form below and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your quote with you.


Key features of our HMO landlord insurance
  • Loss of rent and alternative accommodation cover
  • Portfolio cover (one renewal date for all your rentals)
  • Buildings and/or contents cover, including fixtures and fittings in flats
  • Accidental damage caused by tenants
  • Property owners liability
  • Malicious damage and theft by tenants
  • Trace and access cover
  • Complete insurance cover for buildings (fire, subsidence, storm, escape of water, flood, vandalism)
  • Cover for different construction types
  • Terrorism cover
  • Landlord legal expenses cover
  • Tenancy eviction cover, e.g. serving eviction notices
  • Pursuit of rent arrears
Wooden gavel

MDRBRY Wooden gavel on a white background. Law and justice concept

Did you know?

We can provide legal expenses for up to £100,000 at no extra cost?*
  • Limit of Indemnity (per claim) £100,000
  • Legal defence
  • Recovery of rent arrears**
  • Repossession of residential property**
  • Property disputes
  • Property damage, nuisance and trespass

*Please note the listed covers are available at no extra charge if you take out a policy with MS Amlin. We have a panel of 8 insurers all of which include Legal Expenses.

**Please see our Covid-19 FAQs section to understand the current restrictions in place for using this cover.

Read our Policy Documents


As my property doesn’t need to be registered as an HMO with my local council, is it still classed as an HMO?

Any property that houses three separate tenants or where three separate tenants share facilities may need to be covered as an HMO, even if it doesn’t need to be registered as one with your council. Don’t worry, we can provide cover for either situation.

I only have one tenant in situ at the moment, is this ok?

Provided you have one room in the property occupied, this is classed as an occupied property.