26 October 2022

Boiler cover or home emergency cover - what's better for landlords?

By Hatice Baydemir New Business Account Handler

As a landlord, it’s your responsibility to keep your let in good condition for your tenants. If your boiler breaks, it could leave your tenants unable to live in your rental property and you with a hefty bill to fix the situation. Then there’s the rest of the heating system to consider – burst pipes can cause considerable damage, and finding an emergency heating engineer isn’t always easy.

Luckily, you’ve got a few options to protect your let with boiler cover and home emergency cover – but which is better for landlords? Read on for our quick guide.

What’s boiler cover and how does it help?

Boiler cover offers protection if your boiler and heating system breaks down – covering the costs of repair and replacement, while giving quick access to approved and qualified engineers. The extent of protection depends on your policy and provider, as well as the type and age of your boiler.

Boiler insurance can include:

  • Cover for your boiler, its control and heating system
  • The costs of temporary or permanent repair
  • Guaranteed repair work from a qualified engineer
  • Central heating cover
  • Yearly boiler service
  • 24/7 helpline

What else should I know?

Boiler cover offers excellent peace of mind that you and your tenants are protected if your property’s boiler breaks, but there are a few points you should consider. Firstly, how old is your boiler? Models over 15 years old are harder to insure, with only limited cover available at a higher premium – so you might find it’s more cost-effective to install a new boiler yourself than pay to insure your older one.

Also, you should be aware that boiler cover is unlikely to (or won’t) include things such as:

  • Replacing your water tank, cylinder or radiators
  • Renewable energy systems
  • Boilers that are not well maintained
  • Occasional faults that can’t be fixed during call out
  • Other emergencies that could damage your let, such as flooding, water main failure or power failure, or any alternative accommodation while the issue is fixed.

That’s where landlord home emergency cover comes in.

What’s landlord home emergency cover?

Landlord home emergency cover does what it says on the tin – it offers comprehensive protection in the event of an emergency at your let. This includes a whole range of events, from broken boilers, to storm damage, to blocked drains and even vermin infestations – and it enables your tenants to get the support they need as quickly as possible. You can buy it as an addition to your landlord insurance, or you can take out a separate policy.

As a rough guide, landlord home emergency protection can offer the following types of covers, which you can tailor depending on your needs and insurance provider:

  • Heating failure, including boiler breakdowns
  • Burst pipes and leaks, including from roof damage
  • Flooding, blocked drains or sewer problems
  • Pest infestations
  • Water mains failure and power supply failure (except power cuts)
  • Lost keys cover
  • Any damage that compromises security, such as damaged doors, windows and locks
  • Alternative accommodation in case your tenants can’t live at the property as a result of an emergency
  • A 24/7 helpline

What are the benefits?

At the end of the day, a lot can go wrong in a house. A faulty boiler is just one example, but other emergencies can be even more disruptive. Consider the damage a leak can do to the fabric of your property, or the security risks from a set of lost keys. It goes without saying that vermin infestations can be particularly nasty.

Without the right cover, all of these issues fall to you to pay for. But home emergency cover has your back – enabling you and your tenants to get rapid help, while covering the worst of the costs for you. With the price of building materials and labour continuing to rise, this saves you the stress of having to fork out when you’re least expecting it.

Plus, this cover can help provide a suitable temporary home for your tenants if they can’t live at your let during repairs – removing the burden from you, while giving you peace of mind that any emergencies will be dealt with quickly, efficiently and as helpfully as possible.

At Protect My Let, we offer landlord home emergency cover with benefits such as protection for any age of boiler and a 24/7 helpline that your tenants can call straightaway. Our specialist team will always discuss your options with you and offer honest advice on your needs – so if you want to find out more about your home emergency options, just give us a call. We’ll be happy to help.

House with cloud

Need to speak to someone about landlord insurance?

You can find further useful information, get in touch with a member of our team, or submit an enquiry on our landlord insurance page.



Related articles