17 December 2020

Important news for landlords who are not UK nationals

By Will Riley Senior Account Handler
Euro and UK flag illustration
As I am sure everyone knows, with Brexit now close on the horizon and the transition period ending on 31st December, a number of issues are coming to the fore, such as trade, tariffs, travel and fishing.

Another key issue is that of immigration. At the beginning of January, the UK is also bringing in its new points-based immigration system.

Whilst ‘Landlord’ is on the list of jobs eligible for the new visas that are being brought in, it will become more difficult to gain a UK visa as the points system will favour those jobs where there is not a skilled person in the UK that can do the same job.

On that basis, independent landlords will need to be very mindful if they wish to consider a new career in the UK property market, as this will be another key thing to consider.

Don’t forget that if you are an EU National already living in the UK, you can apply for settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to secure your right to live and work in the UK, but you must do so before the end of June 2021.

This means that Brexit and the new immigration system also has implications for your landlord insurance. Here at Protect My Let, we can cover people residing in a range of countries. However, if you live outside the UK, we need to abide by the local regulations and legislation of the landlord’s home country. Because of this we cannot offer cover to people living in all parts of the world.

If you are unsure and would like guidance on whether we can quote for your landlord insurance needs, or just require guidance on landlord insurance in general, please get in touch on 01206 655 899 and we will be happy to assist.

*This content was fact checked via the government’s website and was correct at the time of publishing (16th December 2020).

Woman working on a tablet

Find out how we can help you with your landlord insurance cover

We work with a panel of insurers which means we’re able to offer a variety of landlord insurance policies to suit your needs. You can find out more on our single-property landlord page.